Whether you’re interviewing for a job or meeting someone new, everyone wants to make a good first impression. Your home is no different! The way your house looks on the outside lets passersby know what to expect on the inside. With this in mind, it’s important to decorate your home’s exterior in a way that is both stylish and personal.
Luckily, it’s not as difficult as you might think to boost your home’s curb appeal in as little as one weekend. Check out these four simple tips from the trusted design team at Sam Levitz Furniture to make the outside of your home look as good as the inside.
If you’re looking for a fast and affordable way to give the outside of your home a facelift, freshening up your front door is a good place to start. Your home’s front door will determine how your entire front yard feels. Because of this, it’s a good idea to ensure that it looks its best. Here are a few ways to upgrade your front door in a flash.
- Give it a new coat of paint (be sure to choose a color that complements its surroundings).
- Hang a floral wreath or seasonal door hanger to make your guests feel welcome.
- Replace your worn-out doormat with a fresh one to wipe your feet on before stepping inside.
- Place matching planters on either side of the door to make your entryway feel polished.
The furnishings on your front porch won’t just impact the way your home feels but also the way it looks. If your outdoor furniture is showing signs of damage, including rust or torn upholstery, it’s time for an upgrade. Keep these tips in mind when looking for the right patio furniture.
- Choose pieces that are comfortable.
- Don’t be afraid to incorporate pops of color with bright cushions and decorative pillows.
- Select furniture that is large enough to accommodate your family and guests without making your porch feel cluttered.
- Consider upcycling worn-out pieces of outdoor furniture with a fresh coat of paint.
When it’s time to give your home’s exterior some TLC, the windows shouldn’t be an afterthought. Showing your windows some love can instantly make your home look clean, modern and inviting. One easy way to enhance the windows on the front of your house is to add window boxes underneath them along with some colorful flowers. Likewise, adding shutters to bare windows or swapping out old shutters for new ones can add a sophisticated touch to any home. Here are some tips to help your shutter hanging process go as smoothly as possible.
- If you’re on a tight budget, consider buying vinyl shutters rather than wooden ones.
- Hang the shutters at the same height as the window trim.
- For shutters that you don’t plan on closing, stick with a width of 25% to 50% of the window’s width.
Like the inside of your home, the outside should be a reflection of your unique style, personality and preferences. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box to design a front yard and porch area that are as beautiful and comfortable as they are playful and personal. Keep these fun ideas in mind to help you do just that.
- Add a yard flag with a message, sports team or picture that makes you happy.
- Hang a porch swing to create a laid-back spot to visit with your friends and family.
- Display your house numbers in a surprising way, such as on picture frames hanging by the front door, potted plants by the street or bright tiles.
- Replace your ordinary mailbox with one that complements the style of your home’s exterior.
While some things can be easily done to increase your home’s curb appeal, there are certain steps that should be avoided in order to help your home look and feel its best.
- Picking inappropriate colors: You can’t go wrong with a neutral color scheme for the outside of your home, then accessorize with bright accents, such as pillows, rugs and potted flowers. If you feel strongly about adding a bright shade to your house’s exterior, painting your front door a bold color is a great way to make a statement that feels tasteful and balanced.
- Going overboard: When it comes to decorating a front yard that feels contemporary and stylish, it’s possible to do too much. Rather than overwhelming your outdoor area with a bunch of furniture or lots of accessories, choose fewer pieces that will still look attractive and unique. If you’re unsure of the right way to decorate with fewer pieces, look for inspiration on a home decor website or in a magazine.
- Not checking with your HOA: If your neighborhood has a homeowners association, look over their rules or check with the board before making significant, permanent changes to the appearance of your home.
- Not working with a professional: Regardless of whether you have experience in home design, seeking help from a professional interior designer, landscaper, real estate agent or contractor can ensure your home improvement project goes as smoothly, efficiently and affordably as possible. They’re called professionals for a reason, after all!
You deserve to have a beautiful home that you’re proud to call your own. If the outside of your house could use an upgrade, the experienced design experts at Sam Levitz Furniture are here to help you every step of the way. With our large selection of affordable outdoor furniture, accessories and home decor, you won’t believe how simple elevating your outdoor (and indoor) spaces can be. Visit us online or stop by one of our four convenient showroom locations today! We can’t wait to help you boost your home’s curb appeal in as little as one weekend!